Teaching English - Education & Sports
... As a volunteer you will assist about 30 children per classroom with the teacher and you will have the opportunity to improve your English level, and if you do not come from a Spanish speaking country it will be a great opportunity to increase your knowledge of Spanish with the staff and children in moments of rest.
General Teaching: If your thing is to be able to impact the general education of children then the range of options is in the areas of language, mathematics, computers, history, art, music, among others, in these cases you will still perfect the Spanish language while helps and interacts with children.
Do you love Sports? Then you can share your passion and teach children the importance of physical activity in their lives. In this type of activity you will also be accompanied by a teacher who will help you in the daily routines. It will also be a challenge for you to exercise at 3400 meters, Good luck!
Children are always happy to see new volunteers, they are very welcoming, you will love to interact with them especially when they will more than happily smile to you.
"Children are educated by what adults do and not by what they say".
+ How you can help
In the project of Teaching of English to children, you will participate by teaching them the basic concepts, to read, pronounce, listen and write correctly, as well as to help them with other tasks. You will use your creativity a lot and you will improvise with educational games, stories, jokes or material that you can prepare before so your classes are fun and have the impact you expect. With primary school children, you will intervene with the teacher, creating lesson plans and directing classes with about 40 children. You will provide personalized attention to students who do not understand the lesson, concentrating on their self-esteem and confidence.
In Teaching in General we place you attending courses in mathematics, history, computers, etc, you will collaborate with the teacher actively monitoring children who did not understand the lesson and helping them with activities or tasks in the classroom.
If your challenge is sports, you will be located in a public school or a sports center that offers physical education to children from 6 to 15 years old. Children come from disadvantaged backgrounds. Volunteers help local physical education teachers, which can range from physical exercises to playing soccer and volleyball, which are the favorite sports of the place.
In all cases you will help to organize the children, maintain order and according to the needs or special cases you could even lead the classes.
- Have an intermediate level of Spanish
- Adapted for people with experience or those who wish to explore the field in the area of early childhood education
- It is important that you have a genuine will to help, show desire, initiative and 'I can do' positive attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you in the team!
- This project is open the third week of march untill the second week of december from monday to friday from 8:30 to 13:00 hrs.
- Also the sports project is carried out from 15:00 - 17:00 hrs.
+ A day as a volunteer
Over all in the Projects it takes 3 to 4 hours of volunteer work. This an approximate outline of a working day:
- 7:00 Breakfast with your host family.
- 8:00 Walk/bus to the project.
- 8:30 Explanation, guidance with the project coordinator.
- 9:00 Volunteer work time in the project (includes rest).
- 12:00 End of work.
- 13:15 Lunch with your host family.
- 19:00 Dinner with your host family.
Note: When you have free time in the afternoon you´ll be able to explore the city, plan a short/long trip or other activity during the week(end).