... As a volunteer you will be located in a small clinic, polyclinic or medical center. Eventually you could participate in health campaigns in the most rural areas a couple of days per week and so joining all efforts, and your skills, all together with doctors, nurses and local staff. They will assist you whenever possible and answer your questions.
This is your opportunity if what you are looking for is a medical program designed to practice, work and learn in such a way that it contributes to the welfare of the less privileged.
+ How you can help?
You can assist in the treatment of patients to a certain degree of responsibility depending on your skills and knowledge under the supervision of doctors, nurses or support staff while others volunteers supervise and obtain knowledge.
You will mostly help with triage, taking blood pressure and other vital signs, organizing patient records, preparing materials and sterilizing equipment, cleaning, preparing beds among others.
In the laboratory you can analyze blood samples, in pediatric environments you will help the doctor to take the weight and height of the babies and children, write down their nutritional status and observe their personal hygiene.
If you are a professional or student in dentistry, you can perform basic dental treatments in campaigns carried out during or weekends outside the city discovering other realities in the field of health.
- Have an intermediate level of Spanish
- Bring your nurse uniform and if possible a stethoscope
- Your flexibility and enthusiasm is important in an environment with limited resources which is really hard work! And be prepared for no matter what!
- It is important that you have a genuine willingness to help, as well as creativity and initiative to work in an environment with limited resources. If this sounds like you, we want you in the team!
This project is open all year round from monday to friday from 9:00 to 13:00 & afternoons (previous coordination)from 14:30 to 18:00 hrs
+ A day as a volunteer
Over all in the Projects it takes 3 to 4 hours of volunteer work. This an approximate outline of a working day:
- 7:00 Breakfast with your host family.
- 8:00 Hike or bus to the project.
- 8:30 Explanation, guidance with the project coordinator.
- 9:00 Volunteer work time in the project (includes rest).
- 12:00 End of work.
13:15 Lunch with your host family.
14:30 Return to volunteer work (optional)/ go to Spanish Class
- 18:00 End of your work/ Spanish Class
- 19:00 Dinner with your host family
Note: When you have free time in the afternoon you´ll be able to explore the city, plan a short/long trip or other activity during the week(end).